Under Umbrellas

February 24th, 2010
Under Umbrellas

Rushing through the rain, with heads held low under umbrellas, we sometimes miss the obvious.

Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Under Umbrellas”

1. Will says:

Really nice shot of Shinjuku in the rain. It’s very atmospheric. Your edit leaving some aspects of the photo in red makes certain elements stand out, but you already have a good shot so don’t be afraid to leave it as colour only or B&W only. The people with the umbrellas, the bicycles by the side of the street, the reflection on the wet street, a powerful image in itself without the tweeks of an edit.

2. Rob says:

Thanks Will. I am not a fan of selective colour typically, but in this case the reds really stood out and the other colours just added complexity so I figured I’d give it a try. And besides, what is photography without a little experimentation, eh? 🙂

3. faisal says:

this is a fun little number. i like the play with selective colours.

4. Rob says:

Thanks Faisal

5. Will says:

Yes Rob, you are right, photography should be about fun and experimentation. When I started out using film I did things like cross processing and dipping negatives in corrosive chemicals to make what I thought was interesting images, then I would have editors tell me it was unusable shit, so I guess ai got into the way of thinking too much about “usable” images rather than interesting techniques. Apologies if I come over a bit harsh sometimes, also hope I didn’t cause offense with my statements about f 1.8 50mm lenses, as you said, they are sharp and very light which is a big plus considering the cost of them.

6. Rob says:

No worries Will, it’s all good. 🙂 I didn’t think you were harsh at all, and I appreciate your feedback. We’re all entitled to our own opinions and constructive feedback never hurt anyone, in fact, it probably helps make us better! Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment!